The 2012-2013 season gets started for Fresno State basketball on November 9 in Austin against Texas. The Bulldogs look like they've put together a squad that can match last season's team. They retain 63% of their player minutes from last season and hope to replace the rest with the output of a Top 100 recruit and six other incoming freshmen.
The Fresno State offense will suffer from a 54.4% drop in assists, the largest gap that the team will need to fill. Following that is steals, where they lost 33.1% of last year's output.
Last season, Fresno State put up a final overall record of 13-19 and landed in 7th place in the WAC with a conference record of 3-11. In the postseason, the Bulldogs were booted from the WAC tournament by New Mexico State, 65-49. Fresno State lost last year's seniors Steven Shepp (36 minutes per game) and Jonathan Wills (28 MPG). The Bulldogs will also have to live without Larry McGaughney (14 MPG) and Grant Hefeng (5 MPG), who left the team.
Coming back to the Bulldogs are junior Kevin Olekaibe (17.8 points/game), junior Jerry Brown Jr (8.8 points/game), junior Tyler Johnson (2.5 assists/game), senior Kevin Foster (8.0 points/game), and senior Garrett Johnson (3.9 points/game).
To counter the loss, Fresno State brings in a Top 100 Recruit. Robert Upshaw is a 6-10 center from Fresno, CA and is the #53 ranked recruit in the country.
Other freshmen joining the Bulldogs include 6-9 Braeden Anderson, 6-10 Tanner Giddings, 6-3 Aaron Anderson, 6-3 Blake Williams, 6-4 Marvelle Harris, and 6-5 Broderick Newbill. Also coming aboard are 6-2 junior Allen Huddleston (transferred from Pacific) and 6-0 sophomore Cezar Guerrero (transferred from Oklahoma State).
The Bulldogs have five games on the schedule against AP preseason Top 25 teams, including at #13 UCLA on December 22nd, #20 San Diego State on January 9th, and #18 UNLV on February 6th. The first Mountain West game for Fresno State is against #20 San Diego State on January 9th.
Tags: Steven Shepp
- Since 2002, Fresno State has an overall winning percentage of 50.0%.
- The Bulldogs have an average conference finish of 6.8 over the last 5 seasons. Over the past 16 the team has an average finish of 4.4.
- The average final RPI (last year) of opponents on this year's schedule is 106.7.
- This year's opponent with the highest RPI from last year is UNLV (#21).
- This year's opponent with the lowest RPI from last year is Pacific (#284).
- Fresno State has 5 Preseason AP Top 25 teams on the schedule.
- The last time Fresno State returned more than 66% of the team's statistical production was 2009-2010.
, Jonathan Wills
, Larry McGaughney
, Grant Hefeng
, Kevin Olekaibe
, Jerry Brown Jr
, Tyler Johnson
, Kevin Foster
, Garrett Johnson
, Braeden Anderson
, Tanner Giddings
, Aaron Anderson
, Blake Williams
, Marvelle Harris
, Broderick Newbill
, Allen Huddleston
, Cezar Guerrero